5 Interesting Facts about the Telephone
We came across some interesting facts about the telephone! Here are a few of our favourites. How far we have come since then.
- “Ahoy” was the original telephone greeting: Alexander Graham Bell suggested ‘ahoy’ (as used in ships), but was later superseded by Thomas Edison, who suggested ‘hello’ instead.
- The very first phone call was “Watson come here, I want you!” It was made on March 10 1876 in Boston, Massachusetts, between Alexander Graham Bell and his assistant Thomas A. Watson
- Britain’s first mobile phone call was made across the Vodafone network on 1 January 1985 by veteran comedian Ernie Wise.
- The origin of the phrase ‘to put someone on hold’ was Alexander Graham Bell handing over his telephone instrument to his partner Mr Watson and saying, “here, hold this”.
- The memorable Nokia tone for receiving SMS text messages is Morse code for ‘SMS’ Likewise, the ‘Ascending’ tone is Morse code for ‘Connecting People,’ (Nokia’s slogan) and ‘Standard’ is Morse code for ‘M’ (Message).
Want to know the business advantages of mobile phones? Find out in our business mobiles blog article.
Our knowledge of the telecoms industry spans further than “interesting facts” about morse code and ring tones, if your businesses needs advice on anything from business mobiles to VoIP or phone systems, then get in touch today.